A millionaire old-Etonian who divides his time between entrenching social injustice in Parliament and raking in extra cash through his financial services firm is on course to become the next Tory leader.
A poll published today by Conservative Home shows Jacob Rees-Mogg is the pick of Tory members to succeed Theresa May.
Political Scrapbook reported how the little fancied “none of the above” beat favourites Boris Johnson and David Davis to top the website’s last leadership poll.
In a sign of how unimpressed even Tory members are with the front bench of their own party, “Other” again came above Davis and Johnson.
But Mogg emerged the darling of the clearly desperate Tory membership, winning 22.54%.
The result comes hours after the grassroots party group Activate tried to kick-off a challenge to May’s leadership by openly backing Mogg.
— Activate (@ActivateBritain) September 4, 2017
So what is it they see in Mogg? Maybe it’s his voting record.
- Against equal rights for gay people
- Against a right to remain for EU nationals already living in the UK
- Against a banker’s bonus tax
- Against a mansion tax
- Against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords
- Against measures to prevent climate change
- Against limiting rises in rail fares
- Against regulation of gambling
- For the bedroom tax and cutting welfare benefits
- For more restrictions on trade unions
- For reducing corporation tax to the lowest in the G7
- For raising tuition fees to £9,000
- For mass surveillance of citizens’ communications
- For privatising England’s forests
- For legal aid cuts
- For privatising Royal Mail
Rees-Mogg has a peculiar hatred for what he deems the “nanny state” for a man who was literally brought up being cared for by a nanny.
It’s not clear he would actually have time to deal with matters of state considering he spends 35 hours every month running Somerset Capital, from which he has received £974,847 since becoming an MP in 2010.
But if Jacob Rees-Mogg does become Tory leader would the last sane person to leave the party ask their butler to turn off the light…