A Conservative MP is so worried about losing her seat that she has resorted not only to plagiarising Labour Party branding for a letter to left-leaning constituents — but suggesting that she is “a Socialist”.
Norwich North MP Chloe Smith (of Newsnight defenestration fame) quotes from a January letter to the Norwich Evening News:
But before resigning to concentrate on shoring up her majority, Comrade Smith was actually Tory minister in the Treasury and Cabinet Office. Measures she has supported since being elected include:
- Implementing the socialist Gagging Bill (as minister in Cabinet Office)
- Implementing socialist cuts to working tax credits (as minister in HMT)
- The socialist Bedroom Tax
- A socialist rise in VAT to 20%
- Socialist tax cuts for millionaires
Outlandish isn’t the word.