Daily Mail suggests Vicky Pryce trial collapsed ‘because jury were black’

Daily Mail spread on Vicky Pryce

The Daily Mail has appeared to suggest the ethnicity of jurors in the Vicky Pryce trial had bearing on their failure to reach a verdict yesterday.

Their spread on the case runs on pages 4 and 5 of this morning’s paper. Alongside a news article and a comment from Melanie Phillips headlined “Do we need IQ tests for juries” is a box entitled “Eight women, four men … and no clue”. It begins:

“Of the eight women and four men on the Vicky Pryce jury, only two were white — the rest appeared to be of Afro-Caribbean or Asian origin.”

The fact that one of the jurors may have been a Muslim was also a problem for the Mail:

“At least twice, the court finished 30 minutes early because a jury member had a ‘religious observance’ to keep.”

Vicky Pryce trial Daily Mail

Just when you thought they couldn’t stoop any lower …

1. Jimmy says:

Is “A basic lack of understanding” the headline or the name of the Daily Mail’s news section?

2. KBB81 says:

So the Mail think if the jury was more white & male then this wouldn’t have happened

3. Dave Ratchford says:

Wait?!!! None of the men wore a shirt and tie?!!!! Good Lord!!! MISTRIAL!!!!!!!

4. Red says:

So the Mail’s analysis of a broken trial is based purely on race and religion. Hardly surprising. When the Daily Mail recognises that all humans are, well, human, it will no longer have a reason to hate and will then implode. I can wish, can ‘t I?

5. Geraint says:

KBB81,

No the Daily Mail is suggesting that the if the jury was more white, more male and passed an “IQ test” (have the right ‘education’)

6. [...] I am being biased towards the Daily Mail since they stole pictures from my site, but hey ho, they are also a low-life UK tabloid which uses non-white reporting as part of their strategy into scaring their largely white audience into believing that someobdy else is at fault. I am presuming that their white UK audience (I am white and Christian, and a non-Daily Mail reader), is largely deficient of their own thougts and needs a newspaper like the Daily mail to clarify their Freudian lack of ability to succeed in life to the many non-white or European workers who succeed better. The Daily Mail online increase in readership is an amazing fact. Part of this can be proven by the fact it is true. In their handling of the Pryce trial, I have been reading an story that suggests that the Daily Mail points out the fact that the majority of the jurors are non-white (and this is the major problem). I am surprised by this alleged fact, as I was expecting them all to be daily Mail readers, and awaiting a decision by the editors as to whether it is OK to pass judgment on a white, working woman (with her clothes on). I am no holiday at present, and therefore am a littl out of touch with the crap thatDaily Mail prints. Most of it is the usual bullshit, this looks even more perverse. Basically, I look forward to further stories appearing about the Pryce jury trial. I believe all newspapers have decided not to make this an isue, and the Daily Mail opened their big mouths too soon, as usual. Daily Mail editors appear ALLEGEDLY to have big mouths, like to steal copyright, and are also generally stupid. I still await an apology to their theft from my pub history site. I am going nowhere apart from up, even if I do not have the readership of the right wing white plebs. I am not sure if this is corect, but here is a link to my reference [...]

7. Kevan says:

I doubt the Daily mail ever thought their rantings about non-UK / non-white people would ever raise an eyebrow. Now is the chance to raise the profile of this monogamistic Tory scum platform.
    I have completed jusry service, and it is hard work making a ‘correct’ judgement. What has the likes of the Daily Mail have in respect of this. The newspaper is a liar and thief at the best of times.
    Thanks for posting your detail.

Kevan

8. Rob says:

Geraint,

No, the Daily Mail is suggesting that if the jury were more white, more male, less Muslim, more public-school-educated and wore ties it would be better for justice. I love how the report expresses surprise that the non-white jury members had no trouble speaking English (but then slyly implies that they probably couldn’t read or write it).

9. Teifion of LLandover says:

I never realised that jurors weregiven lots of notes and papers they had to read – as this is the case (sometimes) then surely being able to read and write IS an important part of the process, to suggest that is NOT racism.
    PS The racist DM was the only paper I remember that named those guys who got off the murder of a young black guy in London and pushed for a re-trial

10. Kris Holt says:

The same Daily Mail who had so many positive things to say about Hitler before WWII? ‘Hurrah for the Blackshirts’ is one of their most famous headlines.

11. Teifion of LLandover says:

I do LUV the so called socialists and defenders of free speech and the haters of racism believing in censorship, that free speech is NOT free speech unless its “granted” to those people you might disagree with.
    I suggest we close down all the papers that aren’t “lefty” and right on & burn them eh guys:)

12. Just Some Guy says:

@Teifion

I suggest you go and fuck yourself, you unfunny subliterate cunt

13. Jimmy says:

Why is it you can never criticize a right wing paper without some nutter insisting you’ve called for it to be closed?

14. Russ says:

I put an advert in the national newspapers for training courses in the IT sector (CISCO Bangalore). The Daily Mail refused the advert because the courses were ‘foreign’. When I called the advertising Dept, an embarrassed representative could not explain more and hung up.

15. Cole says:

Thank you Teifion for just showing once again that right wingers just make stuff up. No-one is suggesting that the Mail be closed down, just that it’s vile and racist.

16. Alex says:

I’d be cool with the Mail being shut down. And “freedom of speech” is the last refuge of the indefensible…

17. Simon Ball says:

I didn’t find my lack of neckware a hinderance when I did jury duty

18. Red Rag says:

Does anyone who reads The Heil actually believe a word it prints. In reality it is Stormfront with more pictures.

19. I was on holiday in Paris when I read the story about the Pryce trial being stopped because of the juror lack of understanding. I was attempting to discover which news tabloid the jury obviously read, believing it to be the Daily Mail.
    It seemed the natural tabloid to be read by those less fortunate who have just learnt to read, but need guidance on why they do not have a job, an who they should blame this time. As we know the Daily Mail blames anyone apart from themselves for all of the problems in society. All disabled are deemed lepers on the state resources, all out of work are scroungers, and now if you are non-white you must be an immigrant, and unable to speak British. All of those who are non-British are immigrants stealing the UK working jobs etc etc.
    Incidentally, the Daily Mail is one of the bigger thieves, in copyright infringement of other peoples work. Maybe one day they will own up to this and pay a reasonable amount for their thieving when they do get caught in the act.

Kevan

20. Asif says:

All the lefty nut-jobs immediately assume that ethnicity was the problem – but of course the problem was a cultural one.

Or do the lefties agree with the mail that the 10 out of 12 ethnics were stupid?

Being politically correct is *so* difficult these days n’est-ce pas?

21. BNPToryTossers says:

@Asif if not your really name is it, you fucking nazi?

22. Dorothy says:

whoah this blog is great i like reading your posts. Keep up the great work!
    You realize, a lot of people are hunting around for this
    info, you can help them greatly.