With South London’s NHS hospital trust formally warned that it could go bust – and the news that six other trusts are also at risk — the blame has been laid squarely with bonkers private finance initiative (PFI) deals for buildings and maintenance.
So perhaps it’s time to revisit some of the crazy fees charged by PFI contractors for doing routine work:
- £8,450 to install a dishwasher
- £13,704 to install three lights in a garden
- £242 to change a padlock on a garden gate
- £997 for a TV cabinet
- £676 to put up four ‘fire assembly signs’
- £525 to move three beds
- £75 to install an air freshener
- £112 to put up a whiteboard
- £120 to reset an alarm
- £184 to install a bell in a reception
Nice work if you can get it.