After five senior Sun journalists were arrested this weekend, Trevor Kavanagh took to his word processor to rant that his colleagues were treated “like members of an organised crime gang”. It should come as little surprise that the paper has an extensive track record of gawping at such actions by police … when it is happening to other people, of course!
Here is a small sample of dawn raid coverage in Britain’s most popular red top:
- COPS RAID HOMES IN RIOT PROBE (Dec 2011): “Police launched a series of dawn raids across the capital today in a major swoop on suspected summer rioters, Scotland Yard said.”
- DENNIS HOME RAID STUNS F1 (Feb 2008): McLaren boss Ron Dennis’ Formula One future was plunged into doubt last night after police raided his Surrey mansion over the Ferrarigate spy scandal.
- TERROR SUSPECT GRILLED IN DAWN RAID (March 2011): “A terror suspect was last night being grilled by Scots cops after he was held in a dawn raid on a flat.”
- COPS HOLD ALEX IN DAWN COKE RAID (Jan 2011): [Jordan's ex-husband] Alex Reid was arrested in a dawn raid by cops probing a cartel who smuggled killer cocaine worth £2MILLION.
- REDKNAPP DEFENDS HIMSELF (Nov 2007): “Dawn raid … Police arrive at [Harry] Redknapp’s mansion as they launch early-morning swoop”
This list continues ad infinitum.