News Corp claim personal details compromised in LulzSec Sun attack

NOTE: This page is not monitored by The Sun or News of the World. If you have received a letter regarding this breach, please email custserv@thesun.co.uk to establish which of your data has been accessed.  The company have told us that no financial or password information was compromised.

News International have emailed people registered with The Sun and News of the World websites to claiming that personal information may have been compromised as a result of an attack by hackers. On July 19, “hacktivist” collective LulzSec defaced the website of Rupert Murdoch’s daily tabloid to carry a story announcing his suicide.

“on July 19th The Sun website was subject to an organised criminal attack … some customer information from competitions and polls was breached as part of this attack. Details vary, but could include name, address, date of birth, email and phone numbers.”

While News Group director Chris Duncan has written to readers advising them that ”information that you submitted to us could have been accessed, and may be published online by the group responsible”, this seems somewhat unlikely.

The group have exercised responsibility in the release of information, pulling back from releasing a cache of emails on the basis this might compromise possible future legal proceedings against Rebekah Wade and other senior executives.

Dear Reader,

I am writing to you on behalf of News Group Newspapers (NGN) – publisher of The Sun and former publisher of the News of the World.

As you may be aware on July 19th The Sun website was subject to an organised criminal attack. It has now come to our attention that some customer information from competitions and polls was breached as part of this attack. Details vary, but could include name, address, date of birth, email and phone numbers. No financial or password information was compromised.

We are contacting you because we believe that information that you submitted to us could have been accessed, and may be published online by the group responsible. We are working closely with the Police and the Information Commissioner’s Office to ensure that all steps are taken to retrieve the files involved.

We regret that we’ve not been able to stop this incident from happening. We’ll update you directly if there are further developments related to your specific data. We would advise as a precaution to take extra care when dealing with contact from third parties if they are unknown to you.

In the meantime if you have any questions or require any further information, please contact us at custserv@thesun.co.uk or on 0207 8601129.

Regards,
Chris Duncan
Director of Customer Management

1. Posted August 1, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

Seems like more of an attack to me. Lulzsec have been responsible in holding back their information so as not to mess up legal proceedings. However, however as result of this letter, every ill-informed reader of the Sun will be paranoid and come onto the anti-hacktivism bench.

2. sandra stanley
    Posted August 8, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

i recived a letter today from news group as my details are belived to have been accessed any information you could give me would be much appreaciated thanks sandra

3. megan woolard
    Posted August 8, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

I recieved your letter from news group newspaper,about the criminal attack
    that some of my details were breached,
    I would like any information you can give me.

4. Posted August 8, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

i recieved a letter today dated 3rd August 2011from NGN about my customer information that has been breached. The letter goes on to say that I submitted information to you that I know nothing about and this has been accessed. Please can you give me any information what this is all about thank you

5. Mr C. Powner
    Posted August 11, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

I have today 11th August 2011 receved a letter from NGN regarding private information of mine which has been breached. I have not knowingly given or submitted details to yourselves, and can only assume that it may have been forwarded to you. An early reply would be appreciated to enable me to take further action.

[PERSONAL ADDRESS EDITED OUT]

6. Gayna wilson
    Posted August 11, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

I also received a letter today, 11th August 2011, and like many others, I haven’t a clue what info this could be as I don’t recall giving you any of my info!?! Any more information on this would be appreciated. Thank you.

7. Jim McDonald
    Posted August 11, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

I have received a letter from you as above. I have never knowingly submitted any information to the Sun. Please forward details of this to me in order that I can deal with this properly.

8. Davey Jones
    Posted August 11, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

WTF? Myself, my 2 sisters, my mother, and my 12yr old nephew and 6 yr old nephew all got the same letter from you. First of all, I want to know how you have information on me when I have never been in contact with your newspaper, infact I have never read it, neither has any of my family.

Secondly, how the f**k have you got details for my sisters kids? You sick vile sorry excuses for human beings!

9. Beverley McIntyre
    Posted August 11, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Please DO NOT publish your personal details in this forum. This site is not monitored by The Sun.

10. Jackie McMahon
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 9:13 am | Permalink

I received a letter and would like to know what details you have as i’m very concerned….and the phone number on the letter is closed!!!

11. Random person
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Me and my entire family, my elderly parents, my brother, my husband all received this letter. We don’t read or subscribe to The Sun or The news of the world, never gave them our information. Called them today and they claim we entered a petition on there site which none of us have so I asked them to provide our email addresses used to do this and she wasn’t able to and told me someone will write me a letter. It seems quite dodgy.

12. K Davies
    Posted August 23, 2011 at 8:48 am | Permalink

I also had a letter 5th August. I did not as far as i am aware have any written contact with NGN