Is Iain Dale angling for a peerage?

Iain Dale’s post earlier today announced the end of his campaign for a Commons seat but seemed to leave the door ajar as far as Westminster is concerned:

Anyway, there are things I’d rather do over the next few years rather than flog what I consider to be a dead horse. I’ve always wanted to be a parliamentarian, but I’m not obsessive about it – perhaps that is where I have gone wrong!

Note the choice of words. One would usually say “I’ve always wanted to be an MP” but Dale writes “I’ve always wanted to be a parliamentarian“. There’s a difference there as the latter formulation would include peers.

By writing to Sayeeda Warsi to expunge his name from the candidates list (and then blogging about it) Dale signals clearly to the top brass that there will be no 11th-hour run for selection. His allies within the party and others who might want to see him in parliament are thus left with one option.

Notwithstanding his habit of treating other bloggers like children, Dale is solid media performer with a strong track record in publishing. Formalising his involvement with the party in this way might be an astute move on Cameron’s part.

Lord Dale of Ashton Ashdon?

1. Posted June 17, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Not a chance. Dale gets caught out too often, is woefully naive and also ran the Davis campaign against Cameron.

Leave him where he is.

2. Posted June 17, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

An interesting theory! I love a good old conspiracy.

By the way, it’s Ashdon, not Ashton. She’s yours!

3. Posted June 17, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

ideal lordly material.
    put davis’ supporters in the lords.
    neutralises the competition nicely.

4. Dennis
    Posted June 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

I’m glad he is not one of the Yorkshire Dales.

5. Major Plonquer
    Posted June 18, 2010 at 2:50 am | Permalink

I think it would be marvelous having Dr Dale join the red benches. It would certainly be one small step to correcting the gender balance.

6. Posted June 19, 2010 at 2:25 am | Permalink

Having Mr Dale present on the red benches could be interesting. I note his comment. :)

7. Norman Dee
    Posted June 19, 2010 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Who’d want join a club that lets people like Prescott join it, I can’t imagine anything worse than sitting opposite (I assume Iain would sit opposite) Prescotts sneer for anytime at all, sounds like hell to me.

8. Posted June 19, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Iain is an interesting read. Sometimes I do wonder. As when he describes himself as being able to bring experience in the Real World to his efforts. As a classic member of the London Mediocracy the real world is largely if not wholly absent from his background.

9. John Galt
    Posted June 19, 2010 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

Lord Fawkes of Stonegate …. has a certain ring about it also.